I am knackered from the flights, and trains and taxi, as well as being up for about 36 hours straight. But here are some absolutely true goodies to tide you over until I can do a proper post.
- On the flight over I watched Chef, Godzilla, Neighbors and Edge of Tomorrow. I enjoyed them all.
- The olfactory experience of walking into Paris Charles de Gaulle airport confirms that in terms of perfumes and deodorants, the French as a people prefer a pound of cure to an ounce of prevention (of B.O.). Except, they use ten pounds of "cure" and it doesn't so much eliminate odor as provide fruity and sandalwood accents to the stink.
- They lost my bag at CDG. Hopefully they'll fly it over here tomorrow. I did the lost luggage conversation entirely in Arabic. I've still got it!
- When I was leaving the airport and going through the final customs baggage x-ray, the guy called me over and pointed to the image of my bag. I was very surprised to see the distinct outline of something that looked very much like a revolver pistol. The guy said, "Did you bring a gun to our country?" I said no. He asked what that shape looked like to me, and I had to agree with him that it did, in fact, look like a gun. Then he started laughing and pressed a button. The outline of the gun disappeared. He explained that he can superimpose gun images on the screen to compare anything they see with the real thing. He was just having a bit of fun with me. Hilarious!
- I was not in the country for 2 hours before I has someone feel the need to tell me that he wasn't a member of DAASH (known to you english-speakers as ISIS or ISIL). Interesting that he felt that he needed to tell me that.
- I was not in the country for 3 hours before someone who was returning home from America started telling his buddies that although Americans can be shockingly racist, have no national food culture except for hamburgers and steak, and tend toward religious persecution of others in the name of Christianity; they are a fair and law-abiding people. He felt relatively safe in America (except for when he was concerned by angry Christians. A story for another time there.) and was grateful for that.
- I was not in the country for 4 hours before my Arabic was so impressive that I got a marriage offer. I told the young lady that I was already married and she reminded me that having multiple wives is permitted in Morocco.
- It was not 5 hours in country before a felt a deep and abiding sense of coming home to the place that shaped my early adult years and made me who I am today! No eggburger tonight, but I'm definitely going hunting tomorrow.
Welcome back!
So glad to know you arrived!!! And, I have always loved to read your writings... it tells me what is important to you and what you think. Looking forward to all you have to say.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post! So delightful to get a taste of your experiences.
ReplyDeleteAnd since I've personally heard your wife talk about the virtues of polygamy, I don't think you should have any trouble accepting the marriage proposal!
Make good decisions!
BAhahahaha!
DeleteGross, Brian.
ReplyDeleteHahahahaha.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSo glad to know they have a sense of humor there!
ReplyDelete