Friday, October 24, 2014

Talking to kids about our move


It was really fun to hear what kids were thinking about us moving away.

Sofia (helping me clean out my car before selling it)

Why are you selling your car? Won’t you need it to get to Morocco?
Morocco is across the ocean so we can’t take our car.
So how are you going to get there?
Can you guess? What do you think would work?
Oh, I know! You’ll take a boat!
That’s a great guess! But it’s expensive to take a boat so we’re going to fly there.
Ohhhhh, a plaaaane.
(We had that conversation a couple of times J)

Ella (in her basement next to our mound of stuff being stored at her house)

Sarah, are you guys moving away?
Yep, we’re moving to Morocco.
Are you ever coming back?
I think so! But we don’t know for sure.
If you do come back, will you buy a house?
Probably not – we’d probably get an apartment.
Welllllll, I have an idea of where you could get an apartment.
Oh yeah? Tell me!
Welllll, it’s really great for kids, but it’s up in Michigan. It’s Great Wolf Lodge. You could get an apartment there and we could come visit you and play!

Ezra (my darling niece)

She and I had a Starbucks date to talk about my move. I showed her Morocco on a map (‘oh, that’s not too far!’), talked about what it was like there, showed her pictures from Google images, and flipped through an Arabic alphabet workbook I bought for each of us.

On the way to drop me off at the airport, Ez brought a suitcase with her so she could pretend she was going somewhere too. I asked her where she was going.

‘I’m going to Morocco. I have a friend who’s been there and she said it’s AWESOME. They have a beach and desert and mountains … and you can ride a camel there!’


She’s so precious! I would love for her to visit  :)

2 comments: