Friday, September 4, 2015

Baby shower

There are a few baby showers coming up here soon - so exciting!

I was talking to my cab driver last night about the parties we are planning to celebrate. He had a couple of opinions and really interesting comparisons with the Moroccan way of celebrating new arrivals.

His strongest opinion related to party composition. 'Are you seriously going to have a party with all women? Parties with only one gender usually don't turn out well ... The girls get jealous of each other if they are by themselves. But if there are men around they are distracted with flirting!' I told him I would bring his point to my fellow planners.

Baby showers here are held AFTER the baby is born.

I went to one when I lived in Casablanca and it was so fun! The traditional meal for a baby shower is an amazing dish called rafeesa. It's a delicious mix of chicken, lentils, vermicelli, and wonderful spices.

The taxi driver said it would be bad luck to have the baby shower before the baby is born. I told him one of the reasons we do it early is so that the parents have everything they need already before the baby comes and then they are ready for the newborn. 

He was like, no way! We get the call from the parents about whether they had a boy or girl and then we race around picking up things to bring to the parents! It's so much more exciting that way!


No comments:

Post a Comment