Thursday, December 4, 2014

Friends

For  few months, Sarah and I have been together almost 24 hours a day. We've had some culture stress, and we're adapting differently, but both making progress. But we have been together so much! One part of me thinks that's how it's supposed to be and I have felt a little guilty for wanting some space to experience Morocco on my own. The wiser, more sustainable part of me realizes that it would be better to have a mix of alone time and together time when we're encountering our new surroundings. I know Sarah has really enjoyed her time experiencing Morocco without me acting as an intermediary/inhibitor of her interaction with Moroccans. 

But now that Sarah is going to school and having a lot of time to herself, and I miss her a lot! It's back to our American schedule, where we see each other in the morning and I make breakfast before one or the both of us heads out. We see each other later in the evening, have dinner, then Sarah works on homework and I watch No Reservations episodes.

So this week I have found myself alone during midday. I have lots to do continuing to furnish the apartment, cleaning, cooking, laundering all in addition to reading and researching (which has gone VERY well so far). But I'm finding that I'm not really enjoying all the isolation. I remember being in a similar situation when I moved back to Columbus after we were first married. Old friendships hadn't been resurrected yet, and new friendships hadn't really begun. I know I'll make friends sooner or later. For right now, I just feel stuck in my own head. Don't get me wrong, I am a solid introvert and my alone time is precious to me. I'd just like to be able to talk things over with someone in addition to my amazing wife who has been a wonderful adventure partner and friend during our transition. 

I order to take steps to meet people and hang out with some of the people I've already met, I'm thinking about teaching some English. This morning I went to a meeting about possibly teaching. I found out after I arrived that the meetings was an interview. I think it went okay. Also, I'm meeting up with a new friend this afternoon to visit the Modern Art Museum. So there are some good things happening during the day in addition to housework and schoolwork.

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you to find fulfilling, safe friendships!!!! Miss you, dear friend :)

    ReplyDelete