Wednesday, June 3, 2015

No more weird baby names

Before I moved to Morocco, I used to work at School Choice Ohio, where my fabulous colleagues and I would contact and call lots and lots of parents around the state to tell them about the options they have for their children's education. Apart from the great conversations and sharing great information, during the calling downtime, we would share incredulously some of the most crazy names of the kids we had heard during the day. 

I wish I could remember some of them, but suffice to say that we had quite a few conversations about whether parents should be allowed to name their kids some of these crazy names.

Imagine my surprise when I learned that in Morocco parents actually aren't allowed to name their kids crazy things! If what I've heard is true, there is a list of approved names for parents to choose from. 

And this article shows that Morocco is not alone! Lots of countries have requirements about baby names: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/07/03/mf.baby.naming.laws/

Kind of invasive into people's private lives, but helpful for some in the next generation?

1 comment:

  1. Bah humbug. I would not go for that. Naming a baby is a very special and personal choice. I would not subscribe to an approved list.

    ReplyDelete